Saturday, January 28, 2023

Fake Boyfriend Book 3: Deke by Eden Finley

Fake Boyfriend Book 3

OLLIE

Word of advice: don't come out to random guys in public restrooms. Even if they're charming and adorably nerdy and offer to help.

My family believe I can't be happy if I'm not out to the world. I have a bitter ex-boyfriend and an unstable NHL career to show for it. A fake boyfriend seems like an easy and quick solution to get my family off my back, and this guy is volunteering. I take him up on it without asking his name.

I really should've asked for his name.


LENNON

Word of advice: learn how to introduce yourself properly.

In my defense, I don't recognize Ollie Strömberg right away. I cover football, not hockey.

I'm not supposed to see him again, and he's never supposed to find out I'm a reporter.

That all changes when my editor reassigns me.

It's a lesson I should've learned by now. Nothing's changed since high school. Jocks still hate nerds. But even worse, athletes hate journalists. Especially ones who know their secret.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43482251-deke

********

My Review: 5/5 Stars

Ollie has a problem. He's hiding in the restroom at a restaurant from his loving family who are still concerned many months later about him and his break up with his ex-boyfriend. They are also the family that is very supportive of him being gay and wonder why he just won't tell the world. But to Ollie, it's not that simple. Not for a professional hockey player. He can't and won't be the first to come out. He may have lost his ex for that reason, but hockey is everything to him. He won't lose that. Luckily for him at this moment, Lennon walks in the door. And in a weird and witty conversation, Ollie finds himself asking Lennon to be pretend to be his boyfriend for the next hour to get his family off his back. Lennon is happy to help but the moment he steps out there, he realizes two things. One, that the guy he thought was hot and helping out is the famous Ollie Stromberg hockey player. And two, Ollie didn't ask for his name and has no idea that he is a sports reporter. The dinner goes as smoothly as one can expect. The family know Lennon as Clark and him and Ollie go their separate ways (despite the fact that they connected). And months later, they are thrown together once more but not in the way either expected. Ollie can't believe he not only outed himself to a sports reporter but this is the same guy who has been writing about him and his career. It's not the happiest of reunions but Ollie can't stay mad forever. Not when he gets to know Lennon and realize that he is actually a great guy. And though they both know nothing can truly happen between them, they can't help but seek the other out. Ollie and Lennon were such a fun pair! Lots of chemistry and the story went in some unexpected directions. Especially near the end! This is a fun series so far and I'm glad I have a bunch left to go!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment