Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Unlucky 13 Book 9: Splintered by Isabel Lucero

 

Unlucky 13 Book 9

Welcome to Black Diamond Resort and Spa —the best place to go when all you want to do is disappear and not have anyone expect anything of you.

Overwhelmed with work and feeling like I’m being pulled in multiple directions at once, I crave the serenity a private island holds for me. As a very recognizable figure in the adult film industry, I’m used to shelling out parts of myself for the sake of others. Everyone wants more pictures, videos, and more of my time and energy. Though I’ve created an empire that has made me lots of money in a business I enjoy, I still desire a break. Sandy beaches, fruity drinks, and turquoise waters are all I expected from this trip. I definitely didn’t anticipate running into my high school crush—the jock that never once looked at me the way I wanted him to. Jarrod Bivens is now the star goalie of the San Jose Bobcats, and the person half the world is blaming for his team losing in the playoffs. Clearly here for his own escape, our chance encounter ignites an instant friendship. With each day on the island, I realize my crush is far from gone, but Jarrod’s known for only dating Hollywood starlets, so he’s obviously straight. Maybe those lingering gazes and small touches are all in my head. But one day, something interesting arises between us—a moment I couldn’t have prepared myself for. Our mounting tension finally snaps, but little did I know it was only the beginning of a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Our chemistry is undeniable, but the real world awaits, and life off the island is bound to be much different. How can two people from completely different worlds ever make it work?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/127024165-splintered

********

My Review: 5/5 Stars

This book became another top favorite of mine from this series. I couldn’t put it down! It was just such a fun one. You can’t help but love Devin and Jarrod the moment they are on the page. It was funny and sweet and romantic and so many other things. So we have Devin and Jarrod who both decide that a vacation is just what they need. And what better place to go than Black Diamond? For Devin, he needs a break from work. He’s running a successful business in adult entertainment and with so many things in the works, he felt himself getting pulled in different directions. It was time for a much needed vacation to regroup and figure out what he really wants next. For Jarrod, he is a NHL goalie who feels responsible for losing the playoffs. Time to escape and mope for a bit. What neither of these guys expect is to run into each other. They knew one another in high school but haven’t spoken since then. However, when they cross paths it’s like no time has passed. They pick up an easy friendship that only builds and starts to lead to feelings. For Devin, he is gay and out and has known exactly who he is. And he’ll admit that he may have had a crush on Jarrod back in the day. One that is starting to form again. For Jarrod, it’s a bit more complicated. He’s never been attracted to a man before and when feelings for Devin start to form, he is more than a bit confused. However, he knows one thing. How he feels about Devin is something he has never felt for anyone before. And that alone makes the jump to be with Devin all worth it. But nothing will be easy for these two once vacation ends. They’ll have to figure out what they want in their future and if it is one where the two of them can be together. A beautiful friends to lovers story mixed in with a tiny bit of angst, longing, distance, everything that makes this story worth reading. Definitely a favorite of mine from the series and one I just couldn’t put down!

No comments:

Post a Comment