Sunday, July 26, 2020

The Company Book 1/Brooklyn Bruisers Book 7: Moonlighter by Sarina Bowen

Moonlighter (The Company, #1)
The Company Book 1/ Brooklyn Bruisers Book 7
Only in my family could a professional hockey player earning seven million dollars a year be considered a slacker.

I’m at the height of my athletic career. Yet my arrogant brother is always trying to recruit me into the family business: a global security company so secretive that I don’t even know its name.

Pass, thanks. I don’t need a summer job.

But the jerk ambushes me with a damsel in distress. That damsel is Alex, the competitive, sassy girl I knew when we were kids. Now she’s a drop-dead gorgeous woman in deep trouble.

So guess who’s on a flight to Hawaii?

It’s going to be a long week in paradise. My job is keeping Alex safe, while her job is torturing me with her tiny bikinis. Or maybe we’re torturing each other. It’s all snark and flirting until the threat against Alex gets serious. And this jock must become her major league protector.

Moonlighter is a stand-alone novel. No cliffhangers, no prior experience necessary. Contains: hackers, hockey players, and a hotel room with only one bed.


********

My Review: 5/5 Stars

I almost skipped this one in my reading of the Brooklyn Bruisers series, but I am so glad I didn't. It gets confusing since the series title is a different name, but it is because it looks like it will be a spin-off. But the main character is a Brooklyn Bruiser and the heroine is a woman we met in previous books. So connections! So we have Eric Bayer, who we got to know a bit more about in Overnight Sensation, so it was nice to see him get his own book. And this book backs up and overlaps a bit with that book and is definitely before Superfan. So what I am basically learning with this huge series is that time lines overlap. So in this story we get to see that Eric and Alex know one another. When we met Alex, it was in Brooklynaire, and she had found out she was pregnant. When we start Moonlighter, we learn that Eric and Alex knew one another as kids, though they haven't seen one another in over 20 years. But Alex is in a situation. She hired Eric's father's company to protect her. Her ex (who hit her) will be at the same conference she is about to attend and she is in the middle of coming up with a plan to get him to hand her full custody of the baby that is on the way. Eric is called in to be her bodyguard and pretend boyfriend for the trip to scare the ex away. Eric and Alex are thrown together and soon realize that they have great chemistry. But things get complicated as most things do. In terms of their relationship, it's accepting what they mean to one another despite the situation they are in and what they thought their future and plans were. The other complication rests in the fact that Alex is in danger and not just from her ex. Someone is sabotaging her newest tech project and that someone is going as far as breaking and entering her home and hotel rooms and so much more. I really loved this book. It was a nice beginning to what could be a really cool series for the Company. And of course, another hockey book with the Brooklyn Bruisers, which is always a treat! I advise you not to skip this one as you are reading the Brooklyn Bruisers series. Because I learned that the heroine in the next one is introduced in this book. So I was glad I made myself pause and come back to this one before going for the next obvious title wise. Definitely worth the detour!

No comments:

Post a Comment