Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Unlucky 13 Book 5: Exception by Cora Rose

 

Unlucky 13 Book 5

Welcome to Black Diamond Resort and Spa…
When I fled my small town home to fly across the globe for a potential job on a remote island, I did it on a whim. And let’s just say, my parents were not happy. According to them, the journey of self-discovery is not nearly as important as tending the family farm.
I may not know a lot, but I do know that I needed space to breathe. To figure out who I am and what I want out of life. I desperately needed change.
So I traded in my work boots and flannels for flip-flops, golf carts, and fit men in teeny-tiny swim trunks.
I came here for adventure, but I never would have guessed that on a tropical island filled with creepy lizards, poisonous jellyfish, and one obscenely deranged monkey, it would be the surfer with the tight body and smart mouth that I really had to watch out for.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/127414404-exception

********

My Review: 4/5 Stars

We’ve seen a bit of Holden in previous books and I’m glad we are getting his story! For someone who is known on the island as the person to go to get weed, their drinks at the bar, and hooking, nothing prepared Holden for Chase. Chase who takes him by surprise the moment they meet. And though Holden does not attachments of any kind, he finds himself drifting back to Chase. Chase ran away from home to escape the pressure that was building inside him. He needed space and he needed it as soon as possible. When he gets a job on a remote island, seems like a perfect opportunity to flee. And in doing so he’ll not only find out more about himself but he’ll meet Holden The person it seems he has been waiting and looking for all along. He doesn’t understand his draw to Holden but he knows he can’t get enough. If only he can figure out what Holden wants. These two took me by surprise. Chase is very quiet and his inner monologue is pretty hilarious (especially when everyone keeps getting him high). But underneath that quiet and awkwardness, he seems to just get Holden. Holden has always closed himself off to everyone around him but he finds himself slipping when he is around Chase. These two were quiet a pair. With plenty of shenanigans and a monkey named Bob who can’t seem to let them alone. This was also a nice change up of getting two people who worked at the resort rather than being someone who was sent there. Fun story for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment