Saturday, February 29, 2020

The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

The Shadows Between Us

Alessandra is tired of being overlooked, but she has a plan to gain power:

1) Woo the Shadow King.
2) Marry him.
3) Kill him and take his kingdom for herself.

No one knows the extent of the freshly crowned Shadow King’s power. Some say he can command the shadows that swirl around him to do his bidding. Others say they speak to him, whispering the thoughts of his enemies. Regardless, Alessandra knows what she deserves, and she’s going to do everything within her power to get it.

But Alessandra’s not the only one trying to kill the king. As attempts on his life are made, she finds herself trying to keep him alive long enough for him to make her his queen—all while struggling not to lose her heart. After all, who better for a Shadow King than a cunning, villainous queen? 


********

My Review: 5/5 Stars

Let me start off by saying that the first chapter, actually no, the first line of the book had me hooked. But yes that first chapter too. My initial thoughts after reading it were: Holy bananas this girl is vicious. How is anything gonna turn out alright for her? And boy was it a journey. Alessandra has three goals: woo the Shadow King, marry him, and then kill him and take his kingdom for herself. She is clever and devious and at the same time pretty damn honest about who she is. True, she won't admit her real plans to anyone, but she still sticks to being herself. And she does get his attention. What she doesn't realize is that Kallias stays away from people for a reason. If he wants his powers to protect him, he can't let anyone physically touch him. Puts quite a damper on Alessandra's plans to seduce the king. But, as she tries to figure out a way for the king to fall for her, they end up actually becoming friends. And that friendship eventually leads to more. Sort of. Their relationship is definitely complicated but very hopeful. Alessandra eventually finds that her plans will change, especially when the king is constantly trying to be assassinated. She is forced to confront her true feelings toward him. I will say, I was constantly worried about their love story. With her initial intent, the truth would have to come out eventually, right? And I will admit Alessandra was someone I found hard to like for a while. I appreciated her spirit of being a woman and she should be able to do whatever she wants and not be judged, she was just hard to completely sympathize with. But! I will say by the end I really liked her. She proved herself to be so much more. And as for the assassination attempts plot line and Kallias's parents' murders, there were some twists and turns to it that I didn't totally catch. It kept me on my toes, which I always appreciate. No one wants to guess the entire ending! The spark between Alessandra and Kallias was great, their banter hilarious, and their relationship one truly of equals. I've loved all of Tricia's books so far and this one didn't disappoint! 

No comments:

Post a Comment