Saturday, February 1, 2020

Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin

Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)

Bound as one to love, honor, or burn.

Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.

Sworn to the Church as a Chasseur, Reid Diggory has lived his life by one principle: thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. His path was never meant to cross with Lou's, but a wicked stunt forces them into an impossible union—holy matrimony.

The war between witches and Church is an ancient one, and Lou's most dangerous enemies bring a fate worse than fire. Unable to ignore her growing feelings, yet powerless to change what she is, a choice must be made.

And love makes fools of us all.


My Review: 5/5 Stars

So this book has been on my radar for a couple of months. I kept seeing awesome reviews and people saying that they picked up this book and couldn't put it down. After a while I finally caved and decided to give it a try. And oh my god, was it worth it! I wish I picked it up months ago when it first came out. I can't believe I put it off so long. This book was truly such a great read and the fact that there is a sequel coming out has me beyond ecstatic. Lou and Reid follow the enemies to lovers status, but it was one that was done so beautifully. Lou has been hiding for her coven for years. She forsakes her magic in order to hide herself from her mother. Reid was orphan who was taken in by the Church and taught to kill witches. So of course, Lou and Reid find one another. But it isn't what you think. They find themselves having to marry after a public stunt threatens to cause quite the uproar. We watch them as they treat one another as an enemy, but slowly they warm up to one another. One layer of armor coming off at a time and with each piece they reveal a little bit more about themselves. Though of course Lou struggles to tell him that she is a witch. Because how can you tell the one you are falling in love with that you are the very thing he hates? Their banter is so fun and witty. Lou herself is an uproar. I couldn't wait to see what scandalous thing she would do next. And Reid is just full of honor and protectiveness, you cheer for him despite demanding he open his eyes and be more opened minded when it comes to witches. An epic romance, lots of magic, and so many twists and turns, I couldn't put this book down. Over 500 pages and it went by so fast. I enjoyed every moment of it and I cannot wait for the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment