Friday, April 9, 2021

King of Scars Book 2: Rule of Wolves by Leigh Bardugo

Rule of Wolves (King of Scars, #2)
King of Scars Book 2

The Demon King. As Fjerda's massive army prepares to invade, Nikolai Lantsov will summon every bit of his ingenuity and charm—and even the monster within—to win this fight. But a dark threat looms that cannot be defeated by a young king's gift for the impossible.

The Stormwitch. Zoya Nazyalensky has lost too much to war. She saw her mentor die and her worst enemy resurrected, and she refuses to bury another friend. Now duty demands she embrace her powers to become the weapon her country needs. No matter the cost.

The Queen of Mourning. Deep undercover, Nina Zenik risks discovery and death as she wages war on Fjerda from inside its capital. But her desire for revenge may cost her country its chance at freedom and Nina the chance to heal her grieving heart.

King. General. Spy. Together they must find a way to forge a future in the darkness. Or watch a nation fall.

The wolves are circling and a young king will face his greatest challenge in the explosive finale of the instant #1 New York Times-bestselling King of Scars Duology.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54589790-rule-of-wolves

********

My Review: 5/5 Stars

First off, I have to say re-reading the entire Grisha world before reading Rule of Wolves was an excellent decision on my part. I didn't realize how long it has been since I read the Grisha Trilogy and the Six of Crows duology. And I didn't re-read when I opened King of Scars when it came out a few years ago. So I needed a refresher and it was super necessary. It reminded me why I loved the Grisha world and all the awesome characters. And Rule of Wolves was a tribute to all of those books and characters. No one was left behind or forgotten. And I loved every moment of it. What a great way to end Nikolai's duology. Though really it wasn't just him. It was Zoya and Nina's story as well. And honestly, quite a few others. From beginning to end it was insane and unpredictable. Nikolai is fighting to prevent a full out war and learning to master the demon inside him. Zoya is trying to understand her new abilities while being the general Ravka needs her to be. And Nina is hoping to save Fjerda from becoming an enemy with no hope of redemption. The stakes are higher than ever. I couldn't put the book down. I had to know more. There were so many surprising twists and turns. My favorite thing about the book was bringing in characters we have met and loved in other books. I loved that. I loved seeing them again and how they contributed to this story. This was such a satisfying story in so many ways. And really it starts all the way back in Shadow and Bone. And as much as it could sound like an ending for a lot, there is a promise in those last few pages that makes me believe that we aren't totally done with this world just yet. And I truly hope that is the case. Great, great book and series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment