Friday, August 31, 2018

A Dark-Hunter Novel Book 27: Stygian by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Stygian (Dark-Hunter, #29)
A Dark-Hunter Novel Book 27
-MAJOR SPOILER WARNING-
While the books don’t have to be read in order, if you haven’t read Dragonsworn, this synopsis will contain massive spoilers for DS. We just wanted to warn you!
-MAJOR SPOILER WARNING-


Born before man recorded time, I lived for thousands of years, believing myself to be something I’m not.
Someone I’m not.
Lied to and betrayed by gods, Daimons, and Dark-Hunters, I’ve struggled to find my way in a world where I’ve been cursed since the moment a vengeful goddess prematurely ripped me from my mother and planted me into the womb of an innocent woman who thought me her son.
Trained as a slayer and predator, I’ve learned to fit in and stay low. To become a tool for evil. Until I was sent to kill the one woman I couldn’t. My hesitation cost her, her life.
Or so I thought. In an act of betrayal that makes all the others pale in comparison, I’ve learned that things are not what they seem in this world and that my Phoebe still lives.
Now I will have to travel into the very pits of Hades to try and save her, even as everyone around me attempts to steal what little soul I have left. There’s only one person at my back and I’m not sure I can trust her either, for she was born of an enemy race. Yet sometimes the road to redemption is one that singes us to our very core. And if I fail to find the answers I need to save Phoebe, more than just my wife will die.
We will lose the world. Both human and Daimon. 
~Urian of the House of Aricles


********

My Review: 5/5 Stars

Such a fantastic book! Definitely one of my favorites of the series. We've been waiting a long time to get Urian's book. And one that I realized while reading it was that you don't know Urian as well as you may think you do. Urian has been in the series since pretty early on. He has appeared countless times. We've seen him at some of his lowest and highest moments. We've seen him learn the truth of who he is. But when I started Stygian and it took us to the days of his childhood, I realized we know absolutely nothing about him. Not really. His life before we meet him in Kiss of the Night, was a lot different.  We finally see what he was like with his siblings and with Stryker as his father. We see how he became who is he. His story was both heartbreaking and beautiful. Urian is such a stronger character. One who had was set apart from his family and never really understood why. His journey was one that went over 11,000 years and every moment he fought to be a protector of those he loved. And despite what life threw at him, no matter how horrible, he got back up. 

And sorry, some spoilers if you haven't read the series, but seriously you should not start this book until you have read everything before it!! I was worried about how Phoebe and Sarraxyn would play into his life. I knew from previous hints from the author that Urian's love interest would by Xyn, but with the surprise of Phoebe appearing, I didn't understand how that would make sense. How could Urian love someone else only after a handful of years after Phoebe's so called death? From the Urian we had seen, he was devoted to only Phoebe. For those, who are worried about all of this going to be messy and poorly written and explained, let me tell you Kenyon does not let you down. She tells the story so well that I wasn't left saying, "well that makes no sense" or "that was so rushed!" Nope. Not at all. I appreciated how she went about it. Turns out (and again spoiler!!), Urian and Xyn had met before. In the very first few years of his existence. And their friendship and eventual love is show throughout his life up until the moment she disappears. Which if you have read Dragonsworn we know what happened to her. And though she isn't mentioned out loud by Urian, he is constantly in his thoughts. And as for Phoebe and Urian's relationship, we finally get a good look at them from their point of view. And again, I was happy with what I saw and how it was handled after Phoebe's "death". 

Urian's story was one I waited for and I was truly not disappointed. I loved learning about his past. I loved re-reading some important moments where he appeared in the series. And I absolutely loved when we caught up to the previous book and the new story that occurred. Especially any moment where Styxx and Bethany become super protective of their eldest child. They are two of my favorite characters and to finally see them happy and with their family is so satisfying!! And that ending!! Wow!! Things have changed in the Dark-Hunter world and I cannot wait to find out what happens next! With that tiny cliffhanger, things are definitely going to get interesting. Seriously cannot wait for the next book. If we follow the epilogue I may have an idea who's story is next, but then again, you truly never know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment