Monday, June 18, 2018

An Ember in the Ashes Book 3: A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir

A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3)
An Ember in the Ashes Book 3
Beyond the Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.

The Blood Shrike, Helene Aquilla, is assailed on all sides. Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable, while the Commandant capitalizes on his madness to bolster her own power. As Helene searches for a way to hold back the approaching darkness, her sister's life and the lives of all those in the Empire hang in the balance.

Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But while hunting for a way to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would aid her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she'd have to fight.

And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that will stop at nothing to ensure Elias's devotion–even at the cost of his humanity. 


********

My Review: 5/5 Stars

I'll admit going into this book I kind of forgot what had happened in the previous ones. And hey, can you blame me? It's been at least a year. So I was a bit wary and unsure how I would feel about this one. Because of what I did remember, I wasn't overly thrilled. But man, was I proven wrong with how I feel about this series thanks to this one!! So good. Sure, it had the normal want to cry, break your heart, and oh my god did that really just happen moments. But I was hooked all the way through. The alternating point of views between Laia, Elias, and Helene was fantastic and each kept you on your toes. And I'll admit I was never overly fond of Helene's chapters in previous books, but for this one all I wanted to do was skip to hers! (And okay, I also wanted her stop denying her feelings for Harper, because come on, those two need to get together!) But each of their journeys was crazy to read and when the three of them crossed paths, even better. Laia continues her fight to bring down the Nightbringer, Elias is learning exactly what needs to be sacrificed in order to serve as the Soul Catcher, and Helene is trying to keep her sister alive and the Empire from falling from those who wish to destroy it from within. I think this was my favorite from the series so far and I am super excited for the fourth one to come out next year to find out how it all goes down!

No comments:

Post a Comment