Sunday, September 29, 2019

Briar U Series Book 3: The Play by Elle Kennedy

The Play (Briar U, #3)
Briar U Book 3
A brand-new standalone novel in the New York Times bestselling Briar U series!

What I learned after last year’s distractions cost my hockey team our entire season? No more screwing up. No more screwing, period. As the new team captain, I need a new philosophy: hockey and school now, women later. Which means that I, Hunter Davenport, am officially going celibate…no matter how hard that makes things.

But there’s nothing in the rulebook that says I can’t be friends with a woman. And I won’t lie—my new classmate Demi Davis is one cool chick. Her smart mouth is hot as hell, and so is the rest of her, but the fact that she’s got a boyfriend eliminates the temptation to touch her.

Except three months into our friendship, Demi is single and looking for a rebound.

And she’s making a play for me.

Avoiding her is impossible. We’re paired up on a yearlong school project, but I’m confident I can resist her. We’d never work, anyway. Our backgrounds are too different, our goals aren’t aligned, and her parents hate my guts.

Hooking up is a very bad idea. Now I just have to convince my body—and my heart.


********

My Review: 5/5 Stars

These books always take me by surprise. I knew I would love the book seeing as I loved them since I read the first one from the original series, Off-Campus, and then when Elle Kennedy did her spin-off, Briar U, I was ecstatic that we were still in that Briar U hockey world. But what always surprises me are our main characters in each one. I think I know what is going to happen and then...plot twists! Turns out we don't know these characters as well as we thought and truthfully that makes it better. I had a picture in my mind of how this story would go and I'm glad it wasn't predictable at all. Sure, there were some predictable things, but you can say that about a lot of books. Hunter and Demi took me by surprise. Hunter especially since we have met Hunter before and have been seeing him through the eyes of his friends. And finally we get his point of view and wow! So much we didn't know and I loved getting to know his character. And then there is Demi. New character and she was absolutely hilarious. Her and Hunter's interactions were golden. And she was just an overall awesome character to get to know. Another great addition to this series. As we know Hunter made a vow to avoid women this hockey season and let's say that Demi puts that to the test. They start off as friends and as their friendship shifts to best friends and then shifts into something more, it just ends up being really satisfying. It wasn't rushed. It was more real. I loved the cameos of some favorite characters and that ending had way more twists and turns than what I would have expected. Loved this book! 

I received an ARC for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment