Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Modern Faerie Tales Book 1: Tithe by Holly Black

Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)
Modern Faerie Tales Book 1
Welcome to the realm of very scary faeries!

Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms - a struggle that could very well mean her death.


********

My Review: 4/5 Stars

For me this was the perfect example of needing to be in the right mood and mindset to read a particular book. I had tried to read Tithe a long time ago and could not get into it. So I figured that was it. It just wasn't going to be interesting to me. But, later on I had come across Holly Black's The Cruel Prince and I absolutely loved it. And Kaye and Roiben were mentioned and were in a bonus chapter at the end of that story. And I was like aw man I really need to read their story. Because I am a firm believer that you can appreciate a series more when you have everything that came before it read. Especially again when I read The Wicked Prince and then not too long ago The Queen of Nothing. How could I keep reading these and see these two characters and not go back and try to read Modern Faerie Tales one more time? So, though I am late to the game (and by the time I finish this trilogy, I will probably feel the need to re-read the Folk of the Air trilogy. Which isn't a hardship since they were amazing!), I finally made it through Tithe. Because I figured I liked the sequel series, I am sure I will like the first series, I just need to give it a real chance and stick with it. So glad I did because it was really great! Knowing small bits of future Kaye from the Folk and Air trilogy, I can see how Kaye will reach that point. In Tithe, she is discovering the life she had is a lie and all the times she communicated with faeries, she wasn't crazy. It was real. And after helping Roiben, she is dragged into Faerie and the world is so different than her own. I enjoyed this first book and I look forward to seeing what the other two stories will tell and how the Unseelie Court will turn into the one I saw in the Folk and Air series.

No comments:

Post a Comment